Thursday, January 24, 2008

Vermont Shooting Range

So, about the picture:

When we are in Vermont in the winter we pretty much drink beer, ski, sled, snowshoe, drink liquor, stay inside reading by the fire, go outside drinking by the bonfire, maybe skate on the pond or play hockey, and shoot stuff. I love shooting inanimate objects: beer cans, targets, clay pigeons, wooden fenceposts, etc. This New Year’s, the guys actually started what we all hope will become a tradition – a pheasant hunt, which is pretty freaking cool… they set the birds out, then go off with the dogs, the shotguns and their orange hats. I don’t remember if my sister actually went out on the hunt, but I did not. Anyhow, I digress, I’m talking about the picture.

The day this picture was taken, the guys had put together a shooting tournament down at the neighbors house. They really did it up, with a cardboard score card and everything. Of course I didn’t know this is what they were doing as I walked from my house down to the neighbors. I was all happy walking down my driveway to the neighbors. I LOVE OUR NEIGHBORS in VT. They are the greatest people. So I could hear the shooting and figured it was either more hunting or that they were shooting clays, but new I wouldn’t have to worry until I was halfway down our driveway. We live at the top of the hill and our house is not in shooting range because the slope is really steep, you can’t see either house from the other. No danger of stray bullets. See below, and at this point I’m at “Me Walking (1)”. [Tip: you can click on this little drawing below for the full effect!!]



Well, halfway down the driveway I can now see the house, and I can make out people on the porch so I know they are shooting clays and not out hunting in the meadows. I stop to yell out “which way are you shooting?” No one answers… they are far away. So I yell as loud as I can “No shooting toward the barn!” I think I hear an “OK!” yelled back, and I’m pretty sure they see me now with my bright hat on, so I keep on walking. They continue shooting.

So now I’m just about midway to the pond on the road to the neighbors house, and they are still shooting when suddenly – BUCKSHOT starts falling around me. See “Me Walking (2)” above.

“HEY!!!!!! NO SHOOTING THIS WAY!” I freak out and start running toward the house. I get there and I think everyone is laughing at me. I was just happy to get to the house without any damage! And they were through most of their tournament, so I just fired a few rounds at the end. Slug Brother’s girfriend took this picture, and I actually hit the clay that was thrown!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patriots Sought For Independence Day Instruction Opportunity

July 4th-6th, 2008

Proctor, VT
Piru, CA
Ottawa, IL
Ramseur, NC

The Revolutionary War Veteran’s Assoc. intends to ride the momentum of their April 19th Appleseed Training events into the Independence Day Weekend. On April 19th, 2008, 527 Citizens across the Nation, gathered at 14 different rifle ranges to simultaneously learn firearms safety, marksmanship, and some Revolutionary War History.

What is Appleseed? The Appleseed Project is a grassroots effort, by a 501.c.3, Non-profit, all volunteer organization, to preserve and pass on traditional rifle marksmanship skills, to Americans across this Nation. This is the third year that the RWVA has been hosting Appleseed Shoots, with the intention of rekindling the American Spirit that gave birth to this wonderful Nation. The Goals of the RWVA, have been high since the very beginning, doubling National attendance every year!

This year marks the 3rd year, and that goal translates to 4000 attendees over the course of the year. At first that may seem like a lot, but on 4/19/1775, 14,000 Volunteers showed up with only six hours notice! To aid us in our goals, Independence Day Weekend Appleseed Shoots are being scheduled across the Country.

Three days of Marksmanship Instruction and Revolutionary War History lessons will undoubtedly leave an impression on all of the attendees. That impression, the RVWA hopes, will be a freshly instilled appreciation of the Founding of this Country and the confidence instilled by newly developed marksmanship skills and knowledge of the safe use of firearms.

Appleseed Shoots are family friendly, and by far, the most cost effective marksmanship instruction available. Attendees under the age of 21 and all members of the Military can attend FREE! This special July 4th presentation of the Appleseed Shoot offers a third day FREE to all who attend. The standard fee (with pre-registration) for an Appleseed is $70 for two days (plus range fees, if any), however, this July 4th will have 3 days of Appleseed for the price of 2! Attendee’s are responsible for their own rifles and ammunition (expect to use 250 rounds of ammunition per day), and eye and ear protection. For further information, please visit us online at: www.appleseedinfo.org

Or you can contact us at:

RWVA
PO Box 756
Ramseur, NC 27316

For specific Proctor, VT information go here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1204.0

For specific Piru, CA information go here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1318.0

For specific Ottawa, IL information go here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1635.0

For specific Ramseur, NC information go here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1205.0

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home